Call our 24/7 advice line for health care professionals and families if you need support with symptom management and end of life care - 01284 766133.
Visitors to Sylvan Ward
To protect extremely clinically vulnerable people during the coronavirus outbreak, St Nicholas Hospice Care has updated visiting arrangements for those visiting Sylvan Ward. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
- To help us, please name a single contact who can share information with other visitors.
- We can accept up to two visitors per person (including children) at the patient’s bedside at any one time; additional visitors will need to wait off the ward, in our communal areas, gardens or in their own vehicles.
- Where possible, please arrange shorter visits with fewer numbers of people.
- We would ask you to complete your visits by 9pm, and cannot routinely accept overnight visitors at this time.
- However, during times of great need, such as during a dying person’s final hours, we will aim to meet the needs of people and their families. This may include more than two family members visiting at once, and overnight visits. Please discuss your needs with us, if this applies to you.
- We have food available in the Bistro which visitors can use during its opening hours, and a vending machine which visitors may use on their way in or out of the building.
- We will aim to make acceptable arrangements regarding your individual needs. This could relate to your health or cultural wishes.
- Please do not visit the hospice if you have symptoms of Covid-19.
We can offer alternative means of communicating with your loved one at the hospice.
- On arrival, come to the main hospice entrance and make yourself known to reception staff (out of hours, please contact ward staff using the intercom).
- You will be guided to the ward’s entrance and asked to make use of handwashing facilities.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE):
- You will be required to wear appropriate PPE. This will be provided for you at the ward entrance by ward staff.
- You will need to wear these throughout your visit
- Dispose of them in the bins provided in patients’ rooms or bays before you leave
- Wash your hands at the sink by the ward entrance on your way out
- Stay with the person you are visiting as much as possible. Use the buzzer if you require assistance. Please do not leave the room to seek a staff member – we will come to you.
- Toilet facilities for families and friends are only available at the main hospice reception. To get there, you will need to leave the ward, please leave your mask on at all times until you leave the hospice building.
- There is an area for families to use for taking refreshments, in Bradbury Green opposite the fire place. Food can be purchased from our Bistro during opening hours, or vending machine at other times.
- Maintain social distancing where possible.
Thank you for your understanding. Guidance will be reviewed periodically, according to government guidelines.
Last reviewed: 09.05.2022