Call our 24/7 advice line for health care professionals and families if you need support with symptom management and end of life care - 01284 766133.
Visitors to Sylvan Ward
St Nicholas Hospice Care has updated visiting arrangements for those visiting Sylvan Ward.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
- · We can accept up to two visitors per person (including children) at the patient’s bedside at any one time; additional visitors are welcome in the Hospice building. In the patients’ last days and last hours, the Nurse Coordinator will liaise with significant others to arrange flexibility in visiting.
- We would ask you to complete your visits by 9pm. Exceptions do apply, please speak to the Nurse Coordinator.
- We have food available in the Bistro, which visitors can use during its opening hours and a vending machine which visitors may use on their way in or out of the building.
- We will aim to make acceptable arrangements regarding your individual needs. This could relate to your health or cultural wishes.
- Please do not visit the hospice if you are unwell. We can offer alternative means of communicating with your loved one at the Hospice.
Visiting process: for information and awareness
- On arrival, come to the main Hospice entrance and make yourself known to reception staff (out of hours, please contact ward staff using the intercom).
- You will be guided to the ward’s entrance and asked to make use of handwashing facilities.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE):
- You will be required to wear appropriate PPE. If you are visiting this is a mask. If you are delivering care to a loved one this will be apron, gloves and mask.
- You will need to wear these throughout your visit
- Dispose of them in the bins provided in patients’ rooms or bays before you leave
- Wash your hands at the sink by the ward entrance on your way out.
- Stay with the person you are visiting as much as possible. Use the buzzer if you require assistance. Please do not leave the room to seek a staff member – we will come to you.
- Toilet facilities for families and friends are available at the main Hospice reception. To get there, you will need to leave the ward.
- There is an area for families to use for taking refreshments, in Bradbury Green opposite the fire place. Food can be purchased from our Bistro during opening hours, or vending machine at other times.
- Maintain social distancing where possible.
Thank you for your understanding. Guidance will be reviewed periodically, according to government guidelines.
Last reviewed: 14.03.23