Call our 24/7 advice line for health care professionals and families if you need support with symptom management and end of life care - 01284 766133.
What we want to achieve and initial testing
The goals of the Listen Learn Adapt process are to:
- Develop, test and validate a new service model that focuses on the needs of the community and the role St Nicholas Hospice Care should play in meeting those needs.
- Enable St Nicholas Hospice Care to reach more people to ensure those experiencing life-limiting illness, dying, death and bereavement in our community get the help they need.
- Raise awareness that help is out there, promote engagement early enough in the journey before there is an urgent need
- Evolve attitudes towards death and dying by helping the community and employers to embrace a new lifecycle where we will live longer
- Support a movement of social change that puts dying back into the community, as a natural part of life rather than a medicalised event
Initial testing of the first three concepts has seen the hospice’s staff have further discussions with those they originally spoke to about their experiences of dying, death and bereavement. They were asked for feedback regarding the testing of our initial three concepts and ideas.
From this, we learnt:
- Having information readily available is vital
- The importance of early engagement was reinforced
- We need to continue evolving people’s attitudes
- How the Hospice develops has to be sustainable and it has to be scalable